Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Mockingbird, April 10, 2009

While I was picking some oranges yesterday, as I neared the back of the tree, I noticed a bird sitting in a nest that I thought had been abandoned. I thought there was something wrong with her--no sounds, no movement--and my hand was really close to the nest as I was picking the oranges.


I hollered at Rod to grab a camera and come out and take a look. She had changed position, so I knew she was ok, and while Rod snapped off a couple pics, she flew off. We managed to get a couple pictures of the eggs--four of them!!



I didn't really learn anything from my 4-H Bird Identification project...so I had no idea it was a mockingbird. But, Rod knew right away. We are going to have to figure out a way to keep Bonnie away from the fledglings once they leave the nest. It takes about two week for the eggs to hatch and then about two weeks for the chicks to fledge. SO, maybe a chicken wire fence around the tree will keep the birdlets safe from our ferocious terrier....who killed a fledgling just a couple years ago. She was on top of the poor thing before I even saw her start chasing it...and that of course was the end of that chick. We hope to not let that happen this time! Emily is keeping watch under the tree...I think she has spotted the nest too. Bad ANIMALS!

No comments: