Saturday, April 11, 2009

Working around the House, April 10, 2009

So Rod is off for the weekend and it looks like we may have some company next weekend, so, it is time to finish up the weeding and remulching in the front planter. Hours and a trip to Lowes later, we finished up that project...only to start on a couple more! LOL

Our kitchen cabinets are painted and on the high use doors, the oils from food products and of course from all my soapmaking really are hard on the paint around the knobs. In the March/April issue of Lowe's Creative Ideas magazine, I saw a cool little project that I thought would work perfectly. They suggested using fender washers to enhance your regular knobs--which in my case would serve as a mask for where the paint was always wearing off too soon. So, a can of metal primer, 20 really big washers (at only .31 each!), several coats of red spray paint and then several coats of a clear coat...and voila!!! Cool backers for my existing knobs...and a way to get even more red in my kitchen! LOL
Ugh...this is the worst one!

So bright and fresh, I love it!

We also pulled the string trimmer out to finish up the "weed cutting" in the backyard. I had a little accident trimming a couple weeks ago--sometimes the automatic feeder gets bound up and you have to pull off the housing to the string spool and feed it manually. Well, the last time I used the trimmer, when I pulled the housing off the spring that sits right under it...SPRUNG! LOL I looked ALL over the place for that spring, but, I could not find it anywhere. So, I had to order some replacements from Toro...which arrived on Friday. So, we now have a nicely trimmed backyard once again thanks to Rod and his back brace!
I also had a couple minor repairs to my kitchen rug--I am not ready to throw it out yet...I love it and I want to keep it for a bit longer--so I had to sew some new binding on one place and just run a straight stitch over a longer section on the opposite side. This poor rug takes a lot of abuse (main house entry and main work room for soapmaking) so hopefully now it will last a couple more months.

I also had a little painting to do in the master bathroom. The place on the wall that the cabinet door hits had caused the paint to buckle, so I fixed it and added a "stop" to the wall. Then I finally pulled the border off--the old border matched the bedroom decor--but it didn't fit with the sea turtle/beach colors in the bath. For now I just painted it to match the walls, but, I am hoping to find a border that fits some day!

No comments: